EngRish GiRL

A GiRL still spinning from the fast pace of Tokyo suddenly finds herself a rookie among the best and brightest in British academia. By no means a proper ENGLISH girl, she can express herself only as EngRish GiRL, the silly mix of America, Japan and Britain that she has become.

Saturday, October 15, 2005

ARGOS

What began as a shopping expedition for some kitchenware ended up a disaster and yet a source of reflection... I now have a biased opinion of this crummy catalogue store called Argos, so bear in mind that my story will be far from objective.

Looking for the cheapest possible cookingware, dishes, flatware, etc., I ventured to the opposite end of town for this Argos place, which I was told had everything you could need for your house. Expecting a huge warehouse-type IKEA place, all I found was a small shop with a bunch of catalogues. Apparently you look up the item in a book, write down the item number, go to the counter and purchase the item, and then pick it up at a different counter. Welcome to the fast food chain of household goods. I caught on to the process and eventually ordered a set of kitchen goods containing almost everything I needed, plus some hardboiled egg holders (?!), for the reasonable price of GBP 19.99. The only problem was that I wanted the set delivered, seeing as I would not be able to carry it with me 4 miles on my bicycle.

Delivery was promised for an extra 4.95. Fine. But now, here I am 12 days later with no kitchen set. Making my way across town again to curse this damned store, I was determined to get the kitchen set delivered again, but with a refund on the delivery charge. Result? It took 30 minutes of patience and a LOT of hassle and frustration, but eventually, I stated my case, and I was again promised that the set would be delivered, all for the bottom-line price of 19.99.

The point of this story is that I am beginning to realize all of the concessions I used to make while living in Japan. I never would have gone through the hassle of trying to state my case for free delivery. The frustration of trying to say what I deserved in Japanese, and at the appropriate level of politeness to boot, would never have been worth saving 1000 yen. I now think back to the bag full of clothes and make-up I had left in a taxi in Tokyo and my half-assed attempt to get it back, the too-small sheets I had bought when I first arrived and my failed attempt to exchange them for a different size, and so many other times I must have lost my money because I couldn't be bothered to be more persistent.

Now, it all seems too easy in a way...
But in another way, I'm wondering about all the other things I must have lost in translation in Tokyo...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home