EngRish GiRL

A GiRL still spinning from the fast pace of Tokyo suddenly finds herself a rookie among the best and brightest in British academia. By no means a proper ENGLISH girl, she can express herself only as EngRish GiRL, the silly mix of America, Japan and Britain that she has become.

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Lost in Transition?

At the conference I mentioned in the previous entry, it was debated whether or not China was "Lost in Transition"-- heading somewhere, but not quite sure what its end goal is or which direction it will follow to get there. I couldn't help but think, or actually panic, Am I like China?! (I guess you know you are at Cambridge when you start comparing your life to the directionless domestic and foreign policies of a nation of 1.3 billion people... but that is a whole other issue.)

Sure, I know I am here to get a Masters degree, which I should hopefully get without a problem, but after this the future is blank. I consider the time here only transitional. I can't really focus on this as an end since I will be here only about 10 months. It's much more of a pitstop on my to somewhere else, but where?! All along, I have been quite reassured by the prospect of my Cambridge degree and some good work experience under my belt. I figure that something will just come along, no matter where I am. And I'm still confident that something will find me. But it still leaves all these unanswerable questions about WHERE that place will be... Japan? Europe? US?... and WHAT I would want to do in each of those places. And I find it increasingly difficult to be puttering along here with no real idea of what I want as soon as this coming summer. I keep thinking it will depend on WHERE I am, but I am beginning to wonder if the "where" is as important as the "what."

What I discovered last summer when I was so ambitious about job hunting is that whatever I planned ended up changing by the end anyway, so maybe it's just better not having any clue now and leaving that for later, after I finish my dissertation.

Deng Xiaoping once said, "I cross the stream by feeling for the stones." Perhaps it's not such a bad philosophy-- if it (kind of) worked for over 1 billion people, maybe it can work for me too.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger Thomas said…

    Nice blog, have you heard about the new walmart movie that documents the high cost to low price? Check out the sample clip on my blog www.thoughtsoft.blogspot.com, or go to walmartmovie.org

     

Post a Comment

<< Home