EngRish GiRL

A GiRL still spinning from the fast pace of Tokyo suddenly finds herself a rookie among the best and brightest in British academia. By no means a proper ENGLISH girl, she can express herself only as EngRish GiRL, the silly mix of America, Japan and Britain that she has become.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Sleepless in Cambridge

Tomorrow will be two weeks since the first night back in my definitely-not-a-double-but-bigger-than-a-single bed in Cambridge. Last night was about the fifth consecutive night I have not been able to sleep a full night in said bed. It seems a bit past the jet lag stage, but I'm not sure what else could have brought on this state of insomnia. Nerves, perhaps, but at this point I'm too tired to really feel anything at all! I've been exercising like crazy to try to make myself tired, so at least my waistline is loving this experience. I've tried counting sheep, drinking warm milk, and staring endlessly at my alarm clock. If anyone has other tips, please help out a sleepless EngRish GiRL.

Life has otherwise been quite normal. I resumed classes on Thursday, and it appears that my schedule this term will be much busier than the last. I have essays to write, presentations to present, and more reading than I'll ever be able to finish. It still doesn't help to fill the empty hours after my brain is completely fried and my eyes can't take another look at the computer screen, but it does make the days go faster. I've spent a lot of this week catching up with friends after the long break, and it seems that everyone is pretty keen to have an active social calendar as well. I am going to two formal hall dinners this week, and then waiting anxiously for the weekend, which I'll spend in London with the likes of Satoshi Tomiie and Jimmy Van M for Renaissance night. It's been too long since a really good night of deep house :-)

So, at least the sleepless nights have not been breeding boring days. I'm pretty sure that would be much worse!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    You'll bounce back Joce! hang in there. at least you know that paris loves you :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home