EngRish GiRL

A GiRL still spinning from the fast pace of Tokyo suddenly finds herself a rookie among the best and brightest in British academia. By no means a proper ENGLISH girl, she can express herself only as EngRish GiRL, the silly mix of America, Japan and Britain that she has become.

Monday, November 14, 2005

The Constant Gardener

A highly recommended, phenomenal film...

Anyway, it gave me some food for thought on my future, love & relationships, and what is important in my life. Apologies in advance for the somewhat odd testimonial entry...

For the future bit:
In what seems to be a distant memory, I remember choosing to study international affairs so that I could somehow make the world a better, safer place to live in, for all people and not just those who can buy a good life with their power, birth rights or wealth. Deep down, I realize that the reason I came to Cambridge to continue my studies was to follow that path. The one thing I didn't like about working in public relations was that I reaped (what I felt) were only empty rewards-- a front page article that we "sold in" to the right newspaper, bettering companies' reputations so that they could make even more profits than what they deserved, and so on. It is not to say that all companies are bad, or that I disliked my job. Actually, I enjoyed my time there, and it is not everyday that one thinks about the greater good of their daily work. But I am again reminded that I do have a need to feel that I am making a difference in the life of someone who needs it. More and more I am thinking that maybe the UN is the route for me to go. It is not a flawless organization by a long shot, but it has the potential and the means, as well as the intentions, to do more good in the world than I could do by myself.

For the love & relationships bit:
There is only one answer to this, and it's simply S. He kindly reminded me today that if I do indeed choose to go the above route in my future, we will probably be living in New Jersey, because I won't be making enough money for my brownstone in the West Village... Always the pragmatic, he is. :-)

And for the bits of importance:
See above, and include family and friends, and an early New Years resolution to take better care of myself, in abstract terms. Not enough of those bits lately... But soon! T minus 10 days until my sister and brother-in-law arrive for a week-long visit, T minus 17 days until I am on a plane to Tokyo, and then soon after home for Christmas with my mom and my friends. Can't come quickly enough!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    kitty,
    could send me your mail address?
    i lost cXXX_mayo@yhooXXX
    so pls send to mkan(m+my family name)@gmailcom...
    yoroshiku...
    mx

     
  • At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really do enjoy your writing style. Keep writing. You have an awesome day.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home