EngRish GiRL

A GiRL still spinning from the fast pace of Tokyo suddenly finds herself a rookie among the best and brightest in British academia. By no means a proper ENGLISH girl, she can express herself only as EngRish GiRL, the silly mix of America, Japan and Britain that she has become.

Saturday, November 05, 2005

To be a schoolgirl again...

Last night was a "haunting" evening in many ways. First was our Halloween formal hall dinner at the college, where everyone made their best attempts to dress in "fancy dress," as the English call "costume," and make the best of the champagne and port. Apparently there is a tradition in the formal hall, where if someone drops a penny in your drink, you have to chug the whole glass in one shot. I seemed to be an easy target for this and was "pennied" several times throughout the evening, easily signifying the beginning of the end for me.

True to my costume, I felt like quite the schoolgirl during the rest of the night. By the time we made it to the after party from dinner, it was harder and harder to stand up straight, unless I was dancing, and well, we all know how it goes when EngRish GiRL has been dancing with a few too many drinks. If you need a reminder, just think back to my birthday party this past year, or the full moon party in Thailand, and then please never mention it again!

Luckily I didn't seem to be the only one enjoying the party, and at least I could justify my "immature" behavior with my schoolgirl innocence :-)

Anyway, if I ever missed Phi Psi parties, or ADPi parties for that matter, or the general debauchery of university life, I found it again last night. Hopefully, I can now put it back into history where it belongs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home